Some facts about the Septembers Campaign - 1939

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some facts about the Septembers Campaign - 1939

Post by kolczas on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 am

Today we have an anniversary of german invasion on Poland. This start of IIWW was called Septembers campaign.

Here I post some facts about polish defense war : )

- Destroying one polish division in 1939 costs germans 3 times more effort than in destroying any ally fr-en division in western campaign 1940.
- Poland attacked from three directions (after soviet invasion at 17.09.1939 four directions) holded 35 days. German-Soviet forces was three times bigger than polish army. France attacked from one direction holded 38 days. Ally forces was two times bigger than german.
- Germans in 1939 lost 564 warplanes, 993 tanks, 11 000 (sic!) of other vehicles. It is more than in campaigns in France, Belgium, Norway, Nederlands, Jugoslavia and Greece together.
- Over the Warsaw in 1939 had place the biggest airplane battle, until the battle of Britain
- After the Septembers Campaign Germany needed 8 months to rebuilt their forces for invasion on Western Europe, Denmark and Norway.

After this campaign were created many myths about polish defense. Even in world of tanks we can notice an echo of those stereotypes, polish players are called "horses" because german propaganda showed polish cavalry charging tanks. Here are busted myths of September Campaign in english:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Poland#Misconceptions

And some music from swedish rockband - Sabaton : )

kolczas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some facts about the Septembers Campaign - 1939

Post by captain_karpov on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:55 am

The Germans were allowed some losses, Poland was their "Training Room".

captain_karpov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kolczas on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:01 am

It could be also training room for British, unfortunetelly they prefered to stay at home and wait until Germans started to bomb London ; )
kolczas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by captain_karpov on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:19 am

I knew I could troll you out of "retirement".

captain_karpov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kolczas on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 am

captain_karpov wrote:I knew I could troll you out of "retirement".

damn, You won sneaky Brit ; )

Its just vacation, not retirement, dont worry, I will back soon.
kolczas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by captain_karpov on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:46 am

However trolling aside.

I don't think the British army was ready for a mass re deployment to Poland in 1939. Nor do I think we could have convinced the frogs to leave their imaginary line and attack. So I am not sure what you expected us to do.

We did declare war for a just cause to fight a genuinely aggressive enemy, which by recent (compared to Iraq and Libya) standards is rather novel, we did go about it in a rational fashion. Using the Navy to keep out the Germans, while building up air superiority (with some Polish help) and using our mostly Cambridge educated boffins (and a few Polish braincells) to crack the German codes, all the time waiting for the yanks to decide what side to join. I'm sorry many Poles died while this happened. But we did win in the end, and Poland still exists, so maybe you can one day forgive us.

I am no fan of Churchill, politically speaking I despise him (he hated the working man), but in the respect of grand strategy of WW2 he was correct. He was also a real wit, and loved good food so I give him some respect outside of politics, unlike our current leaders who are a bunch of burger munching/lager sucking tossers at every level.

captain_karpov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top